Written by Missy Johnston
New Zealand – Freshly Harvested Green Lipped Mussels
In the Marlborough Sounds, located on the northern end of South Island, New Zealand cruise on a private yacht charter and gorge on the New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels that not only have an outstanding taste, but are rumored to offer great health benefits. And what could be better than cruising in the lovely green Marlborough Sounds eating
Green Lipped Mussels while sipping New Zealand Marlborough Sounds Sauvignon Blancs purchased right from one of the various local wineries, some of which are world renowned and prize winners. Green Lipped Mussels, also known as the Greenshell Mussel, are so called as the normal dark coloring of the mussel shell, in this species has a very green edge, or lip along the edge of both shells. The Marlborough Sounds are home to a burgeoning Green Lipped Mussel industry with mussel farms dotted throughout the cruising waters of this great yacht charter location. Stop right at the farm float, and purchase these Marlborough Sounds farm grown Greek Lipped Mussels plucked right from the water for a lovely on board treat.
New Zealand – Marlborough Sound
New Zealand today has over 550 Green Lipped Mussel farms, mostly in the Marlborough Sounds. There are so many little bays and coves in the Marlborough Sounds area, many rarely visited, that these isolated maritime waters are extremely clean and are an ideal location for mussel farming.
New-Zealand – Marlborough Sound – A small marina
Rigorously monitored and in many circumstances an industry self adhering to environmental policies to be eco friendly, the mussel farming industries of New Zealand make up the largest segment of New Zealand’s seafood industry. Green Lipped Mussels are exported to over 50 countries worldwide. But why not go to taste the mother lode yourself and enjoy these mussels straight out of the waters where they are farmed and cruising the Marlborough Sounds on a yacht charter in New Zealand.
Recipe for New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels*:
• 1 Dozen (or more) New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels
• White wine
• 2 cups Fresh Basil
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup Olive oil
• 3 Tbsp toasted Pine nuts
• 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
• Juice of 2 lemons
1. To make the pesto, just add basil, pine nuts, cheese, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, and blend them up, then put aside
2. Steam the mussels very lightly with the wine
3. Then shuck them open and loosen the meat from the shell and reserve the meat on the half shell.
4. Lay out on an oven tray, you might want to put foil down.
5. Add about a tablespoon of the pesto and place on top of the mussel
6. Place in a hot oven for about 5 minutes
Visit the Northrop and Johnson Website for More Charter Information!