The bridge from the old city, Trogir
Trogir, which is 27 kilometers west of the city of Split in Croatia, is a UNESCO World Heritage site and should be a stop on every yacht charter itinerary for a crewed yacht charter in Croatia. “Old Town” Trogir, the highlight of the area, is located on a small island connected to the mainland via a bridge with a protected harbor for any yacht to overnight on a crewed yacht charter along the Croatian coast. First established as a protected harbor by the Greeks in the 3rd century BC, “Old Town” has had continuous urban settlement for the last 2300 years. “Old Town” is considered one of the best examples of a Romanesque-Gothic Medieval walled city still in existence in Central Europe. Tuck into the harbor on your crewed yacht charter and wander through “Old Town” Trogir along streets originally laid out in the Hellenistic time period.
Old Town Fortress in Trogir
Trogir as a city is considered an architectural jewel for examples of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. When exploring “Old Town”, not to be missed buildings and structures are:
- The core of the ancient city inside the walls with about 10 churches and many other buildings from 13th century
- The 13th century Duke’s Palace
- The 13th century Cathedral of St. Lawrence featuring the Portal by Master Radovan considered a masterpiece by created by this Croatian artist
- Both of the 15th century big and small palaces Cipiko
- The 15th century city loggia
- The 15th century Fortress Kamerlengo
- The 17th century city gate and the 15th century city walls
The Old City, Trogir
“Old Town is a dream location for anyone interested seeing beautiful examples of various styles of architecture from various time periods, however particularly from the 13th to the 17th centuries, and so it is no surprise that tourism is the primary industry. However shipbuilding is now also an important industry with an active shipbuilding yard. Fishing is a strong industry, so fresh fish is always available, along with fresh produce from the surrounding farms. Be sure to include Trogir “Old Town” on a yacht charter itinerary for a crewed yacht charter along the coast and islands of Croatia.
Yacht Quay, Trogir