At any age, a yacht charter is a luxurious and unforgettable way to see the world. That is why so many of our yacht charter clients are extended families returning time and time again, ranging in age from toddlers to seniors.
From Baby Boomers to Generation Z, the youngest of whom are just 4 years old, every single age group can benefit as they enjoy the amazing scenery and destinations. We have even had babies in baskets, perhaps one of the easiest age groups to have on board. Here is a quick list of the generations by name:
- Baby Boomers: born between 1944 and 1964, ages 55 to 75
- Gen X: born between 1965 – 1979, ages 40 to 54
- Gen Y/Millennials: born between 1980 and 1994, ages 25 to 39
- Gen Z: born between 1995 and 2015, ages 4 to 24
There is no other type of luxury family vacation which affords the same wide range of experiences while keeping loved ones together. And as we’ll illustrate below, that is a really good thing. If you’ve been hesitant to book a yacht charter, these are some great reasons to go for it. Read on to find out how every age group can be entertained, awed, and pampered on board one of our charter yachts as a vacation choice.
At first glance, luxury travel can appear intimidating for seniors. They may have worries regarding mobility issues, dietary needs, physical handicaps, and comfort concerns. Luckily, a yacht charter eliminates every single issue on this list. The fact is, chartering a yacht has no age restriction whatsoever.
All of the yachts we charter are well-maintained and easy to turn into a home away from home. Our accomplished crews provide guidance and reassurance in upping your comfort level while on board. Private chefs can cater to food allergies, sensitivities, and restrictions. This way, grandparents can enjoy their grandchildren and other family members in a private, but very relaxing space.
We have yachts built for special needs accessibility. Handicap-friendly design is emerging as a trend in the yachting industry as baby boomers (and the parents who introduced them to charter) continue to age. Most yachts are stocked with activities perfect for any generation. And while younger, more active family members might jump in the water, enjoy water sports, or explore ashore, less mobile grandparents can watch the water fun from a comfortable perch on board, settle in with a good book, or have a nap waiting for all to return from a shoreside excursion.
Some recommendations on the best yacht charter experiences for seniors are:
2. An unforgettable Roman Holiday
3. Following in the wake as history unfolds in Turkey
Many members of Gen X have both children and grandchildren. A multi-generational charter creates family memories.
The youngest members of Generation X are in their early 40s. Once upon a time, they jammed to Liz Phair and binged on the first seasons of The Real World. Described in their youth as the “MTV generation” and latchkey kids, Generation X-ers are now settled and working hard to sustain a work-life balance. Understandably, getting away from it all and truly relaxing is a priority.
Taking vacations is not something Gen X is good at, however, especially in the United States. Last year, nearly a quarter of them left a week of vacation unused! A yacht charter is perfect for creating an entirely new environment well-suited to their vacation preferences. It will force a Gen X’er to unplug, unwind, de-stress, and finally get some rest. Everything, from the food to the crew to the amenities, is customized.
Some recommendations on the best yacht charter experiences for Gen X are:
- Sailing into Grenada on the Spice Island breezes
2. Bora Bora, Tahiti and Moorea, snorkeling and relaxing in the lagoons
3. Cruising in Thailand with your own masseuse on board
The average age of our clients has dipped a bit, and this is mostly due to wide-eyed, adventurous millennials, also known as Gen Y. This shift is taking place as yacht chartering becomes increasingly popular outside of the traditional yachting oriented groups. And millennials are not only taking up more of the yacht chartering market; they are also changing the very nature of the charters.
Exotic is in—Millennials are the group most unafraid to try new things. After conquering social media, they now crave the unusual, the unlikely, and the far-flung. This means they seek out once-in-a-lifetime experiences, shunning the traditional.
All the toys—Gen Y loves inflatables of any kind. They also seek out sportfishing and off-shore fun such as spelunking in ancient caves, rappelling down cliffs, or flying over a volcano in a helicopter.
Lower budget—On average, a millennial booking a yacht is not willing to spend *quite* as much money and will go for a smaller yacht as well. That’s OK, because there are plenty of charter yachts in their price range all over the world. However, it’s still always smart to book several months ahead of time to ensure availability.
Environmentally friendly—Our millennial customers inquire often regarding options offering a sustainable food selection and eco-friendly on-board amenities, all of which can be accomodated. It is important to them to leave no lasting damage behind, and instead, to contribute to local economies in a responsible way as they visit.
Nighttime fun—The good times continue after the sun goes down. Our millennial clients enjoy themed-evening parties and excursions to shore to experience the nightlife in places such as Ibiza, Spain, and Monaco. They take advantage of the opportunity to sample local wines and liquors, hear their favorite music, and dance all night long.
Some recommendations on the best yacht charter experiences for Gen Y/Millennials are:
- Discovering Secret Archipelagos only reachable by sea
2. Visiting Komodo Dragons and remote villages in Indonesia
3. Seeing nature thrive and adapt in the Galapagos Islands
Because Z-ers are (at most) in their early twenties, they may not yet be chartering yachts themselves. They are, however, still benefiting from being included on board any of our yacht charters. You may be wondering: as a parent or host of a Gen Z, what is it about a private luxury charter that appeals to a kid, teenager, or young adult?
- Water Play All Day—Be sure to choose a yacht charter with a good selection of water toys: boogie boards, paddle boards, windsurfing equipment, water skis, and kayaks. This group also loves inflatables, slides, and sand toys of all kinds.
- Learning While Having Fun—The kids can take on new skill sets from the comfort of yourown yacht! Some chefs love to lead private cooking and baking classes. Teens can learn to sail and handle a boat, while the younger ones go on nature hunts and search for hermit crabs, sea turtles, dolphins, and other curious creatures. Don’t forget the fascination in their bright eyes as they snorkel over coral reefs crowded with brilliant tropical fish. Ashore, visiting ancient sites with a museum quality tour guide can add to the overall experience.
- Bonding with Family—Gen Z-ers can spend truly special quality time with parents, grandparents, cousins, and friends. They can play cards, board games, go on hikes together, try out an on-shore restaurant, or select the film for a movie night on the top deck.
Some recommendations on the best yacht charter experiences for Gen Z are:
1. Swimming with Manta Rays in Fiji
2. Snorkeling heaven in the British Virgin Islands
3. Exploring what may have been the “Lost City of Atlantis” in Greece
As you can see, there is no need to be intimidated by the idea of bringing any age group to the private yachting experience. Each traveler can find many things to enjoy during their time on board. There is something for everyone, and an accomplished charter broker will make sure to create good memories which last a lifetime.